Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day one hundred and four: surely you can't be that stupid

I had a hissy fit today. Actually, a hissy fit doesn't accurately describe my temper tantrum. It was more like a shit fit of epic proportions.


I had a complete and utter meltdown that was kind of like this:



(minus the tears...)


The catalyst of the meltdown? Someone wasn't following the Golden Rule.


Lately I've found myself really taking to heart the bad behaviour of strangers. There was a time I'd just shake my head and move on because I didn't really care what some asshole eating at (insert real name here) had to say, but now instead of letting it roll off my back, I'm absorbing that negativity.


Today's interaction went like this:


Me: Sorry to interrupt but what can I bring you to drink?


Asshole: We're in the middle of a conversation. Surely you can't be so stupid as to not figure that out.


Me: **silence and disbelief**


I walked away a little stunned. Did that guy just call me stupid? This is when I started to get mad. I swiped my card in the POS with such vigor that it snapped in half.


My temper tantrum lasted a couple more minutes and I eventually got over myself as my co-workers looked at me as if I had six heads. After I had calmed down I felt a wave of shame wash over me. I'm disappointed in myself for letting some hack get the best of me. Maybe it's because I need some time off or maybe I'm in the wrong line of work but now I'm on a mission to not let the small stuff get to me.


What's worse than my temper tantrum is that I had the perfect opportunity to drop a life from Airplane.
How often is it that people start a sentence with "surely..." even if the rest of the phrase is to call me stupid? Opportunities like that only come around once in a lifetime:



No comments:

Post a Comment