Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day sixty two: thank you for being a friend.

Instead of staying in on my night off to clean my apartment and thus restore some sanity and peace of mind to my busy life, I instead went over to a friend's (Hobo Speed) place. Hobo got the nickname, as legend has it, from her brother. He saw a picture of a short homeless looking person who bared what he decided were similar qualities to his sister and the rest is history. At least I think that’s what happened.

I can expect a few things when I go over for a visit: laughs, good conversation, and a meal. Without fail, every time I go over to her place Hobo feeds me. It’s nice to be fed but it’s even nicer when I’m so busy I can’t be bothered to cook for myself.  

Hobo and I always have a good time and I think she likes having me over because I always fill the ice cube tray up when I use the last cube. I have good house guest manners which disguise the fact that I am a lazy slob. Sure I'll make the bed when I stay at a hotel even though I know the housekeeper is going to come and do it for me but rarely do I make my own bed when I know no one but myself will make it. 

When I was in the eighth grade I went over to this girl’s house for her birthday. We all went up to hangout in her bedroom as I assume most 13-year-old girls did at junior high birthday parties. On her bedroom floor was a used Q-tip and half a pretzel. There were other things I’m sure but all I could focus on were those two things. I was beyond grossed out and still am to this day. I never want someone to feel about me the way I did about her that day.

Since when is it okay to have a used Q-tip and a half eaten pretzel is plain view on your bedroom floor? Answer: never. It is never okay. It’s extra not okay when you have people over to witness it. It’s double gross; two times the grossness.

At least I am aware of how much of a slob I am and being able to be a slob in the privacy of my own home is one of the fringe benefits of living alone. I am in no rush to clean up after myself all the time.

I have great friends and it’s not just because they feed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment