Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day seventy eight: I love soup.

To be perfectly honest, aside from the tips, my favourite part about working at a restaurant(s) is how readily available soup is.

At any given moment I can have soup, which I recently discovered is my favourite food replacing sandwiches as my number one and bumping pizza down to the bronze.

Soup is such an underrated meal. I remember a time when this fine city was a treasure trove of soup eateries. Actually, I think it was just a few Soup Pierres that have since met their untimely demise and gone the way of the bagel shop which brings to question: when did people stop going to bagel places? 
My guess is right around the time coffee places started popping up on every corner. Say what you will, Winnipeggers love Tim Hortons. 



At (insert real name here) the soup is consistent. There isn't much variety, which is fine, people like what they like and I'm on board as long as it's cheese and broccoli. At the New Shop, there is a different soup everyday -- bisques, chowers you name it.



Now a someone who has been eating soup since the 80s, I fancy myself a pro but I've learned a very important lesson: don't tell the chef it needs more salt. This can result in having soup tasting privileges taken away which may or may not, but totally did, happen to me. 


Tasting the soup is a privilege, not a right. 

1 comment: