Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day sixty four: smarts fail, teamwork win.

This morning I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing, actually, there's no ring so much as the sound of my friend D doing a sweet impression of the Professor from Futurama saying "Good news everyone!"



The number on my call display was (insert real name here). Immediately I thought I had slept through my alarm and I was getting a "where are you call?" until my eyes focused and I saw that it was 11 a.m. - six hours before my shift started and five hours before I had planned to wake up. 


It was my general manager asking if I'd be willing to give up my serving shift to expedite food in the kitchen. All I heard was "are you ok with making $15 tonight working in the kitchen instead of the $100 you'd get serving a close shift on a Saturday night?"


What's a girl to do? 


I said yes for two reasons:


1. I didn't want to be a douche
2. I like to help out when I can


One the plus side, I got to wear my civvies (civilian clothing), I got to feel like a martyr and I made my manager say she "owes me big time." Does that mean anything? No. But, I look better in the eyes of management than the sucky babies who didn't want to come into work on their night off. 


Jerks. 


I don't feel bad for anyone who "needs a day off." I'd like a day off. I'd like to not set my alarm or plan my life around my work schedule for just one day but alas, this is a luxury I am not afforded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment