Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day thirty one: Halloween.

I've never really been much of a Halloween kinda gal. Sure I did the trick-or-treating thing and LOVED it. Heaps of candy? What isn't to love? 


I remember in the third grade for whatever reason both my parents were home at lunch time and I had snuck into my stash to eat a Tootsie Roll before I ate  proper meal. Clearly my supply was dwindling if I was munching on one of those. I must not have been as stealth as I had intended because I got caught red handed. My dad took away my candy but the biggest injustice is that he had said I ate a chocolate bar when really everyone knows that a Tootsie Roll isn't chocolate. So had I lied when he asked if I ate a piece of chocolate? No. No I did not but it was hard for me, as a 10 year old, to rationalize with my police officer father with chewy gunk stuck in my teeth. 


Now that I'm older and arguably wiser I find that Halloween is just another day. 


At (insert real name here) we were encouraged to dress up for Halloween. I saw this as an opportunity to wear jeans to work so I recycled a costume from a couple years ago and went as Wayne Campbell from Wayne's World.  In all sincerity, I just wanted to wear jeans. Luckily I had a Wayne's World hat and a clean black t-shirt kicking around. 




I thought it was a brilliant costume but it got lost in translation with the after church lunch crowd. Try explaining a movie based on an SNL skit to a big top of geriatrics. Eventually I just said I was a beer delivery guy.

Needless to say I didn't win best costume but I got to wear jeans and I'm happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment