Thursday, October 7, 2010

Day seven.

I love a good deal then again, who doesn't love a good deal? No one hates deals. That's like saying "I hate movies." Speaking of which, I used some of my hard earned tips today to hit up a good deal at the movies. (See what I did there?) 


The movie: The Social Network. The deal: University Combo.


Last school year Empire Theatre Grant Park, the best movie theatre in town, had a brilliant deal. Seven days a week your university/college student id got you admission, popcorn and a soda for the low low price of $9.99 taxes in.


This school year, the theatre upped the price to $11.99 PLUS tax. Really Empire Theatre Grant Park? True, it is still a good deal considering the price of admission is 10 clams to begin with and the popcorn and soda was less than $4 but the whole allure of the University Combo was all the free stuff: food AND beverage.


My very first job was at a movie theatre -- Silver City Polo Park (really uncomfortable seats). I worked at the concession stand shucking out bags and bags of overpriced popcorn and Pepsi products. Did you know that movie theatres make little to no money on ticket sales? The revenue comes from the concession, or the Pizza Hut or Starbucks or Mercedes dealership kiosks movie goers drop loads of cash at before settling in for their two hours of entertainment. Feel free to share this fun fact with anyone you like.


I probably didn't need to get popcorn and a drink seeing as how I had already eaten dinner: perogies I got on sale at Safeway after my shift today. Even after the combo inflation I got it basically for the feeling only a good deal can give you. It's the same reason I have a freezer full of perogies. Sure I could have just bought one bag but they were on 2 for $5, regular $3.99. That's only an extra dollar for an extra bag it just makes sense.


I suppose all that really matters is that I saw a pretty good movie with some pretty good friends and ate so much popcorn that I now have a popcorn food baby and I feel like yaking. 


Total hours worked: 3.56
Tips earned: $41
Tips spent: $24.67 on groceries, $12.37 on entertainment 

No comments:

Post a Comment