Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day thirty four: my folks.

My folks live in a little town a stone's throw away from St. John's, Newfoundland called Torbay. My dad is an RCMP Superintendent and my mom is a bank manager. They up and abandoned me roughly six years ago and I've seen them just as many times since they've left. 


Working in a restaurant with unpredictable hours has cut down the number of times I talk to my mom on the phone especially because of the time change. Newfoundland is two and a half hours ahead of Winnipeg and since my mom goes to bed as soon as the sun goes down our phone calls have since dwindled down from almost everyday to a couple times a week. Good thing she's discovered the internet and email.

Here's a typical email exchange with my mom:


Hi there,

What a great weather day here today!  Can't believe we are in the middle of November.  We have a busy day tomorrow with my bank party...plus get my roots done. Dad is up to bed & I am quickly following. Dad is now playing indoor soccer....he has something sore in the back of his leg and th house smells of HEAT.  Just watched a movie, dishes & now to bed.   

love mom 

Mom, 

Dad is too tall to tall to play indoor soccer. 


My dad, on the other hand likes to send me pictures of his dives. Not only is he a soccer star, which is ridiculous because his height would be better used in basketball or volleyball, but he is an avid scuba diver and he likes tea. He also sends me links or recipes or jokes. 

Here's a typical email exchange with my dad:

Yummy teas. www.davidstea.com 

There are stores near you! 

M

Dad, 

You are too old to use words like 'yummy'.

H  

No comments:

Post a Comment