Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day fifty eight: sherry is alcohol enriched wine.

Brandy is distilled wine. Cognac is a type of brandy named for the region in France where it is made. Sherry is alcohol enriched wine. 


I don't have to know these things for my job(s). I have to know what kind of booze we keep in the bar and the seven, yes, seven bottles of wine we carry; three reds, three whites and a blush.    


I pseudo-helped a friend study for a wine test for work hence my new-found knowledge of fortified/distilled wine. Not only did he need to know what wines his restaurant carried but he needed to know the grape, the country and how to describe them. He needed to know the difference between brandy, cognac and sherry. He needed to know about port, catarattos and gewurztraminers. He needed to know more that I will ever have to at (insert real name here) or the New Shop. 


It took me about three minutes to memorize the wine list at (insert real name here) and about 15 seconds for the one at the New Shop: Naked Grape Shiraz and Naked Grape Sauvignon Blanc. Boom! Nailed it. 


Sure, if I had to, I could memorize all the stuff he did which was actually quite impressive, although I'd never say that to his face. 


When I was a kid my folks always had wine with dinner. I always found it weird going to a friend's house and see his or her parents drinking milk with their meal. 


I love wine. I am my mother's daughter in that regard I suppose and I am not above drinking it from a box. The best part about wine is that there is always something to learn about it, always a new bottle to try. I'm no sommelier but I can hold my own in a conversation about wine. 


I'm not as poetic in my love for it as say Virginia Madsen in the major motion picture Sideways but I know what I like. 



Wine. It's not just for breakfast anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment