Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day fifty seven: inappropriate conversations in the workplace.

Mom, it's probably a good idea you skip this one. 


I was out with a friend for coffee the other day. She was telling me about her new job and the people she works with. She couldn't believe how wildly inappropriate some of these gals were, talking about weed, on the job. 


In the restaurant business, the majority of conversations are wildly inappropriate but seem oddly normal. For example, a few of us were having a discussion on how you'd think there would be more cures for incurable STDs. Pardon me, STIs:
"I hope they find a cure for herpes, the pool of people to have unprotected sex with is getting smaller by the day."
 The key is to save it for the kitchen or at least not to speak so loudly that your tables hear. Sex, booze, drugs and gossip aren't the only thing servers, cooks and bartenders talk about but they seem to be trending topics among those in the service industry. 


I asked a server friend of mine the kinds of things that get talked about at his restaurant and this is what he told me:
Him: Mostly one night stands. I stole a girl's glasses once. 
Me: You stole them? Did you give them back?
Him: No I kept them, mine broke the same night. 
Me: And they just happened to be the same and/or close enough prescription? Talk about lucky. 
Him: Right time, right place. 
Me: That's a pretty good score. Glasses are expensive, unless you order them online from China I suppose. 
**Please note that I do not condone stealing glasses.**


Clearly, I've become desensitized to the inappropriate conversation but on the bright side,  at least I'm no so far gone I am unaware of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment