Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day one hundred and thirty two: our father...

It happens more than you might think. I'm talking about tables that say grace before they eat their meals.


I've never been a religious person. The extent of religion in my life has been saying the Lord's Prayer in elementary school which I think that got the kibosh in the early nineties. After that my exposure to Jesus and such was my dad's copy of Jesus Christ Superstar, 




a preview of Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ




and Kevin Smith's Dogma 




It makes sense to me that the people who say grace before their meals do so in a restaurant. If you say it at home, why wouldn't you say it at (insert real name here)? 


My issue with the grace saying is that I never know what to do when half of the table's food is out and I'm holding onto the other plates mid-prayer. I feel like Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights when he doesn't know what to do with his hands during an interview.



Sometimes I don't even realize that I'm interrupting grace and by then it's too late. And for that matter, if all the food isn't on the table does that make it less blessed than the plate I'm waiting to set down? 

At the end of the day my goal is to not offend a group of people or to make them think I'm ignorant of others' beliefs because I'm not, I'm just awkward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment