Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day one hundred and thirty five: Champagne comes from Champagne

Champagne comes from Champagne, everything else is sparkling wine.

Sometimes, at the New Shop, the higher-ups get great ideas on how to bring in new clientele. The latest idea? A Valentine's Day couples dinner. 




It's a good idea, in theory, but a money pit in reality. None of the advertising had a phone number or address for the New Shop on it so reservations relied heavily on the foot traffic that passed the store front.  


A three course dinner for two including wine? $50?! Per couple?! What a deal! For the diner that is. 


My only real issue of the evening was the "event" advertising. The posters didn't list our phone number or address and, along with the three course meal, promised champagne.


Champagne is sparkling wine from the the Champagne region of France. One of my pet peeves is when someone refers to sparkling wine as such but oddly enough I have no issue when someone refers to non-Kleenex tissue as Kleenex or generic cotton swabs as Q-tips. 


We didn't buy champagne at the New Shop to give away for free, that would be ludicrous for a little place like ours. 


We doled out glasses of La Scala Spumante, a cheapie sparkling wine from the Calona Vineyard in Kelowna, British Columbia... I think. 


I was worried that I'd have to defend the New Shop and it's "champagne" but it turns out when you're giving people hooch with their grub they don't really care or know that what they're drinking is dangerously close to a bottle of Baby Duck


It's a good thing the night went smoothly. Would I consider it a success? Sure. I made a few bucks and got to finish the rest of the sparkling wine. In these scenarios I tend to be driven by how much wine I get to consume once all of the tables leave. It sure makes clean up seem less tedious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment