Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The People. (Part 2)

Last time I talked about old people so this time I'm going to talk about young people. 

Kids can be the worst to serve. The WORST. 

Most of the time this is dependent on the parent. When a whole family comes in to eat it can go one of two ways, rarely is there an 'in between':

1. the kid is well behaved and the parent or guardian enforces proper dining etiquette and manners. This is the desired scenario. It's like serving a tiny adult with a lesser vocabulary. I like these types of kids and I like serving them because like Bill Cosby says, kids say the darndest things. 

or

2. the little shit head is having a hissy fit while the parent tries to cater to its every need. The kid will colour on the table or wall then not eat his or her meal but rather rip it apart and drop it on the ground under the table. The parent will then pretend not to notice and leave a huge mess to clean up. 

The thing about kids eating at (insert real name here) is that their meal comes with a dessert. Now, most of the time I will quietly ask the parent if it is okay to offer the child dessert. I just think when I ask the kid without consent from the parent I'm over stepping my boundary. Maybe mom doesn't want Junior to have that red jello (I assume it's cherry but I can't be certain) or ice cream because he coloured all over the table and only ate a single french fry. 

But there are sometimes when a parent asks "don't they get a dessert with their meal?" in a tone that suggests I either don't know or that I was trying to be sneaky and not offer it. 

The moral of this story? I hate serving your misbehaved children. 

I won't even get started on crying babies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment